10 Best Smart Switches for Home Automation
Switches are an integral part of any home. Today, switches are not only confined to be used to power on and off the lights, fans and gadgets in a home but also to operate blinds, dimmers, mood lighting, etc. Like many gadgets and devices for home automation, switches have also been transformed into smart switches. These switches can be remotely controlled, operated through voice commands, have a seamless finish and most importantly most of the models fit very well with the existing wiring. However, to be able to make a swift shift, to guide you well in your switch from conventional to smart, the following is a guide to buying a smart switch -
What Are Smart Switches and how do they work?
A smart switch is a switch that can be operated over a wireless network via a voice assistant or a mobile app. A smart switch can convert a normal appliance or device into a smart device. these are an important part of the home automation system.
A smart switch can be operated manually like a conventional switch or by linking it to a mobile application. Linking with a mobile app or a voice assistant aids in remotely controlling the switches, scheduling the use of equipment and electricals, setting scenes and much more.
Costs attached with the Smart Switch?
A smart switch would start at around 500 rupees. The cost may vary depending on the type of switch, modularity, features, brands, material, etc.
Points to Consider while choosing a Smart Switch –
When buying video doorbells one should consider the following points –
Try to identify the number of modules that will be required for your space, which will help in identifying the switch plate. The number would lead to the type of modules offered by the various brands.
- Wifi or Hub:
One needs to check if the smart switch has a built-in wi-fi chip or uses a special hub for operations. It is a rational decision to go in for a switch with a built-in wifi chip over a special hub for ease of syncing and operating multiple devices and gadgets.
- Voice control:
Smart devices can be operated through voice assistants such as Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant, etc. One should check the compatibility of the switch with the intended voice assistant.
- Remote or Mobile App
One should look at the way the switch can be controlled – through a remote? Or through a mobile app? With a remote, there would be a range of distance to operate the switches seamlessly, while a mobile app would enable remote operations.
Storage options in video doorbells are available in both formats internal and external (SD cards). Certain doorbells offer cloud storage as well.
Most of the smart switches are designed to fit into a standard modular plate without the need for rewiring, making the installation process easy. Try to look into the sizes and plate requirements before finalizing the modules for a smart switch.
Advantages of a Smart Switch?
The advantages of a smart switch are as follows –
- These are easy to install and can be installed with the existing wiring.
- Very convenient to use. One can practically operate the switch from the comfort of their couch.
- It offers the user the convenience to schedule the varied functions of the day.
- Helps in monitoring the power consumption and thereby saving the electricity bills.
- Can be easily operated or checked upon even when the user is not home.
- One can set scene preferences to add to the convenience of use.
Are there any challenges for the Smart Switches?
Since these are backed by technology, there can be challenges pertaining to technical glitches. For instance, the voice assistant might not respond, there might be a lag in operations, connectivity and network issues, and so on.
You may pair the smart sockets with the smart switches for better automation. Check 10 Best Smart Plugs to Make your Life Easier
The following are the 10 best Smart light Switches for home automation –
1. HomeMate Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Smart 4 Gang Touch Switch (White, Pack of 1) | No Hub Required | Compatible with Alexa and Google home
This thin smart switch is designed to blend with any space decor. The elegant smart switch is packed with the following features –
- The smart switch has dual colour LED indicators to translate the power on or off state of the switch.
- The switch panel is backlit which aids in locating the switches at night or dark.
- These can fit in a 48 mm standard modular switch plate.
- It is compatible with voice assistants Alexa and Google home with the aid of the HomeMate smart app.
- One can operate the switch remotely with the help of a wi-fi connection and the smartphone app.
- Has a delicate feel and operates just by a light touch as it has a sensitivity of capacitive 4 touches.
- The switches are compatible with existing wiring and can be installed in households or commercial spaces.
- These switches are both easy to install and convenient to use.
- Multiple switches can be grouped and also offers multi-person control of a panel.
2. Kamonk Smart Touch Switch 4 Gang, Wi-Fi Enabled, No Additional Hubs, No Automation related Wiring, Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, Add shortcuts to Siri & Kamonk App (Black)
The smart switch can be integrated with the existing wiring, therefore, making it easy to install in existing structures. The features of this smart switch are as follows –
- The smart switch has a colourful TFT LCD screen.
- It can be operated both manually as well as with the help of the Karmonk app.
- The switch connects to the app or voice assistants over a 2.4 GHz wi-fi.
- It can be operated using voice assistants.
- One can schedule the functions of this smart switch.
- Offers family sharing and group control for better efficiency.
- Is compatible with the standard modular switch plate.
- Is capable of creating smart scenes.
3. Smarteefi Touch 5 Port Modular WiFi Smart Switch Board, 3 Switch Control, 1 Fan Speed Control, 1 Smart Plug, Compatible with Alexa & Google Home, Black (Size: 6M (220mmx90mmx40mm))
This is a modular switch plate with 5 ports. Its specifications are as follows –
- The smart switchboard has a provision of 5 ports to install smart switches.
- Each of the switches or functions can be voice-controlled through voice assistants or operated through the Smarteefi app.
- It has a touch control manual override, which allows the users to operate the switches manually.
- One can run schedules for electricals and appliances, thereby saving on energy bills.
- It allows shared operations among the family members and even sends notifications in case someone tries to operate the switches in the owner’s absence.
- It doesn’t require any additional installation and can be installed in the existing structure.
- The plate has an LED indicator to indicate the state of the switch (on or off).
- It can also report the monthly energy consumption based on the state of the switch and the load attached to it.
- Supports scene-setting in order to control multiple devices connected with the plate.
4. Tata Power EZ Home Wifi Smart Touch Panel Switch, 3 Channel, Alexa/Google Home Enabled
The seamless smart switch by Tata is an elegant design that will add panache to your spaces in addition to automating the home. Its specifications are as follows –
- The smart switch is touch-sensitive and can be operated with a light touch on the board.
- The switch can be remotely operated with the help of a dedicated mobile application (EZ Home app).
- It can even be operated with voice assistants – Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
- It is easy to install and gives a seamless finish.
- The switches can be integrated with the existing wiring.
- It has a timer and scheduler to help in automating the operations and saving electricity bills.
- It allows family sharing to provide multi-user control.
- Comes with an option of setting preferences through scene-setting.
5. Sonoff 85-250V 16A MAX 3500W Smart Home WiFi Switch with Power Consumption Measurement POW - Control Lights and Appliances from Phone, Manage Energy for DIY Smart Home
This smart switch also doubles up as a power consumption calculator for the users, which can in turn aid in altering the usage of power for mindful consumption of electricity. The features of this smart switch are as follows –
- This smart switch comes with added features such as real-time current monitoring, voltage and power monitoring and longer time power usage monitoring for electrical devices.
- It works like an electricity consumption calculator.
- One can control the switch and the connected devices with the help of a dedicated app.
- It works with voice assistants – Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- It is made of fire-resistant materials to help in saving your home from fire hazards.
6. Touch Light Switch 8 Gang Smart Switch | Premium Quality Touch & Remote Smart Switches
This light switch is built with premium technology to provide an efficient touch and remote control. The specifications of it are as follows –
- The smart switch can be controlled from anywhere in the range of up to 20 m.
- It can be controlled via radio frequency, touch control and remote with resistive loads up to 1002 watts.
- It is easy to install and doesn’t require new wiring.
- The switch is made with waterproof, anti-scratch and fireproof material.
- The top is finished with high-quality crystal tempered glass with a blue LED indicative light.
- It also offers multi-control association in order to link it with other smart switches.
7. imagine technologies 4 Gang Smart WiFi Switch | Retro Fit with Manual Control | No Hub Required | Working Online & Offline| Alexa & Google Voice Control (4 Gang Smart Switch)
This switch can work both online and offline. It is a good choice to integrate into your homes to convert your appliances to smart appliances. This smart switch has the following features –
- These are compatible with the standard switchboards and can be installed without the requirement of additional wiring.
- It works with voice assistants Alexa and Google Home.
- It offers functions such as scheduler, timer, location and predefined functions.
- It is easy to use and can be operated remotely with the help of a dedicated mobile app (Smart Life app).
- Offers multi-person control and grouping of multiple devices.
- One can create smart scenes to operate the switches and lead to efficient home automation.
8. StartHome Smart Switch Non-Touch WiFi Smart Home Modular Switch 3 Gang Smart Switch Smart Life, Google Home and Alexa Compatible IOT Device
This smart switch is IoT compatible and is a step in converting your home to an automated home. Some specifications of this smart switch are as follows –
- The switches are easy to install and set up.
- They work well over a 2.4 GHz standard wifi connection.
- It is compatible with Google Home, Alexa, Smart Life, IFTTT and TUYA technologies.
- The switches can be operated manually when internet availability is an issue.
- These can be remotely controlled through the Smart Life app or Tuya app.
- These are modular and can be installed using the included accessories.
9. Protium Smart Touch Switch, Compatible with Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT & Smart life App (8 gangs (10A/Gang), Black
This stylish smart switch has elegant aesthetics and is easy to use too. Some features of this smart switch are as follows –
- This switch has a crystal glass panel design for efficient touch operations.
- The installation is on similar lines as a traditional switch and requires no new wiring.
- One can voice control and operate individual gangs. The compatible voice assistants are Alexa and Google Assistant.
- It offers timer or scheduler settings which can help in creating scenes and saving power.
- It can help in energy monitoring of the appliances in order to optimize power usage.
- There is an LED indicator on the switches to help navigate and locate the buttons at night or in the dark.
- Can be controlled remotely by the Smart Life app.
- Allows family sharing option to control the devices.
10. Smarteefi 4 Port WiFi Smart Switch, Scheduling, Countdown Timer, Compatible with Alexa & Google Home, 2 Year Warranty White
This wifi smart switch comes loaded with the following features –
- Each output in this smart switch can be programmed and controlled independently.
- It can be voice-controlled through Amazon Alexa or Google assistant.
- With the help of the Smarteefi app, one can control the functions of the switches remotely.
- It provides a manual override to allow for manual operations of the switches.
- Provides scheduling facilities in order to save power consumption and thereby the electricity bills.
- The switch sends a notification to the owners or family members when the switch is turned on or off.
- Offers family sharing through the app.
- Can be easily integrated with the existing wiring.
These are the 10 best smart switches suitable for home automation. The smart switches help in setting schedules, remote operations of devices, energy monitoring, power saving, etc. These are the easiest of steps towards home automation. While choosing the smart switch for your home, try to be thorough about the features and working of the smart switches. Be mindful of your requirements before selecting the switches and their respective plates.
If there are any smart switches that you feel can be added to the list, feel free to post your suggestions!
Also if you are smart products lover, you must check out 20 Best Smart Home Devices to Make your Home A Lot More Automated
Join our newsletter!
Enter your email to receive our latest newsletter.
Don't worry, we don't spam
The Top 7 Most Versatile Self-Healing Cutting Mats
10 Best Measuring Tape for Architects and Designers
10 Must-Have Architect Tools to carry while visiting Architectural Site
The Top 10 Best Drawing Sheet Storage Tube for Architects and Designers
The Top 10 Notebooks to Carry for Architect-Client Meeting
10 Highest-Rated Certificate Folders for an Architect's Interview
10 Best Smart Door Locks to Upgrade the Security of Your Home
Upgrade your home security with one of these ten great smart door locks. They come in many different styles and
10 Best-Selling Smart Ceiling Fans with Alexa and Remote
Looking for a ceiling fan that conveniently controls with your voice? Check out these ten best-selling models with Alexa!
10 Best Smart Lamps to Light up Your Bedroom
Upgrade your bedroom lighting with one of these 10 best smart lamps.
10 Best Reviewed Robotic Vacuum Cleaner for Spotless Home
Looking for robotic vacuum cleaners OR Thinking of buying a robotic vacuum cleaner for a spotless home? Read along for
10 Hot-Selling Smart Water Heaters/Geysers for Smart Bathroom
Looking for smart water heaters for your bathroom OR Looking for an upgrade from a conventional geyser to a smart
10 Best Smart Switches for Home Automation
Looking for smart switches for home automation? OR Confused about the transition from conventional switches to smart switches? Worry not!