20 Best Smart Home Devices to Make your Home A Lot More Automated
Home automation, though a new concept today, would be a run-of-the-mill concept in the future. Today ample devices from smart switches to smart security systems, from smart planters to smart lighting are being innovated. These devices can actually make one’s life a little easy. In many instances, a single device can perform multiple functions. These devices are designed in a manner that they can interact and notify the users through smartphones and voice assistants. Before we realize it, in the coming years we will be surrounded by these smart home devices managing our homes. However, if one is looking forward to integrating smart devices in their homes, the following are a few insights regarding smart home technology –
What is Smart Home Technology?
The term SMART translates to Self-monitoring analysis and reporting technology. Smart home technology refers to devices, appliances or systems that can be controlled independently or in a group remotely. These devices can be connected over a hub or be operated individually. The devices can be operated using a smartphone or tablet via a dedicated app or through voice commands. The technology enables one to experience luxurious and automated experiences making the life of the consumers easier and more convenient.
How does Smart Home Technology work?
Smart technology works on wireless networks and connections thereby making the working as well as installation hassle-free. With the help of dedicated apps, one can set schedules or timers to power on and off the devices. Many smart devices come equipped to create illusions in the absence of the residence to notify of and evade burglaries and other mishaps.
How to control your Smart Home?
The devices across a smart home can be controlled via the following common methods –
- Manual Control
- Through a dedicated app on a smartphone or tablet
- Voice control through voice assistants (Alexa, Google Assistant, etc.)
- A smart hub
- Passive infrared control
- Cross-device control
Is Home Automation Safe?
Smart home devices are equipped with cameras and microphones, moreover, they work over wireless networks and the cloud, thereby making them prone to hacking. These devices are and will always be prone to security breaches or fall prey to cybercriminals. If breached, these devices can divulge data corresponding to the privacy of the residents. To ensure that your home is safe in the process of automation, the following are a few pointers to take note of –
- One should try to use multi-factor authentication to add in extra layers of security.
- Ensure that your wi-fi has the strongest encryptions and passwords.
- Upgrade the hardware of your wi-fi devices.
- Try using strong passwords across all your devices.
- Keep the firmware and software up to date to update the latest security features, bug fixes, etc.
Pros and Cons of Smart Home Technology
Technology like anything else has two faces of a coin, following are some pros and cons of smart home technology –
- Smart home technology can make one's life convenient by providing the control of all the smart home devices from a single device.
- The devices under smart home technology can be controlled from remote locations, thereby giving control to the residents from afar as well.
- Residents can be alerted or notified about the issues in their homes even when they are away from home.
- The technology aids in monitoring energy consumption, thereby, reducing the energy bills as well.
- The technology can help one monitor their habits and take relevant action if necessary.
- It aids in maximizing security by enhancing the quality and degree of surveillance.
- Customizations and scheduling are possible under smart home technology thus providing the convenience of use and enhanced experience.
- The biggest disadvantage with smart home technology is that they are and will always be prone to security risks.
- The installation costs incurred are a little higher.
- Technological glitches can lead to brief pauses in activities.
- There might be compatible issues across various smart devices.
If you are willing to tread on the path of upgrading your homes to automated or smart homes, the following are the 20 best home devices to make your home a lot more automated –
1. Echo Dot (4th Gen, 2020 release) with clock | Next generation smart speaker with powerful bass, LED display and Alexa (Blue)
Amazon’s Alexa has been a popular voice assistant since its launch. Amazon’s Echo Dot is a smart speaker that is power-packed with ample features to make one’s SMART tech integration comfortable. There are various brands in the market today that have launched their smart speakers following Amazon’s footsteps. Some features of the Echo Dot are as follows –
- Echo Dot can be operated by voice commands in English and Hindi.
- The 4th generation of Echo Dot has an LED display that shows the time, temperature, timer, etc.
- The speakers offer versatile usage as these can be used as standalone speakers for a hands-free experience or as Bluetooth speakers for your smart devices.
- Connect and command other smart devices or gadgets.
- The voice assistant adapts to the speech and vocabulary patterns for an enhanced experience.
- It allows the users to ask questions, set timers and schedules, make lists, create calendar prompts and events, play your songs, pay your bills, so on and so forth.
- With the privacy protection feature, one can control voice recordings.
2. Zebronics Zeb-IR Blaster Smart WiFi Universal Remote with Built in Alexa, for TV/AC/Speaker/DTH (Black)
This smart universal remote by Zebronics is perfect to control multiple devices and gadgets. The features of this smart remote are as follows –
- The smart universal remote enables one to control IR devices from anywhere.
- It is controlled via the Zeb Home app to control your gadgets or devices like TV, AC, speakers, etc.
- It is a one-stop solution to easily control an array of electronics and devices.
- It aids in converting a normal device into a smart one.
3. Mi Smart Bedside Lamp 2 (16 Million Colors, App-Enabled, Touch Panel)
This smart bedside lamp is a user-friendly way to integrate smart technology into your bedroom. The aesthetics of this lamp are minimalistic and clean. The specifications of this smart bedside lamp are as follows –
- The smart bedside lamp has a palette of 16 million colours to choose the desired colour from depending on the occasion, function and mood.
- It gives the flexibility to adjust the temperature of white light according to the requirements.
- This lamp can be controlled through a smooth touch panel, mobile app and also by voice assistants like Alexa and Google Assistant.
- It has a life of about 11 years.
- Provides scene creation feature therefore, it can be grouped with other Mi smart lights to create interesting scenes.
4. Mi Robot Vacuum-Mop P, 2100 Pa Strong Suction Robotic Floor Cleaner with 2 in 1 Mopping and Vacuum, Intelligent floor mapping (LDS Navigation), App Control (WiFi Connectivity, Google Assistant)
A robotic vacuum cleaner is an answer for smart cleaning of your spaces. The cleaner can sweep and mop a space in no time. The movements of Mi Robot vacuum Mop P are designed specifically for cleaning in Indian homes. Its specifications are as follows –
- This smart vacuum cleaner has a powerful suction of 2100 Pa with a brushless motor.
- It has a 3200 mAh battery which provides a run time of approximately 130 hours.
- The vacuum cleaner can be controlled through Mi / Xiaomi home app and Google assistant over a wi-fi connection.
- Cleaning features available are – scheduled cleaning, virtual walls or restricted zones, zoned and spot cleaning or selective area cleaning.
- It supports three modes for efficient cleaning - Sweeping & Mopping Mode, Sweeping Only and Mopping Only.
- The vacuum is equipped for real-time mapping and route planning, faster speed, higher accuracy and longer scanning range (up to 8 m).
- It offers automatic recharging, post which it can efficiently resume work.
- It is equipped with anti-collision and anti-drop sensors, which aids in accurate navigation, crossing obstacles up to 2 cm high and preventing falls from staircases.
- The robotic vacuum cleaner can save up to 10 maps thus has the provision of cleaning multiple floors.
5. Nebula Apollo, Smart Wi-Fi Pocket Size Projector, 200 ANSI Lumen Portable Projector, 6W Speaker, Movie Projector, 100 Inch Picture, 4-Hour Video Playtime, Outdoor Projector(Black)
A smart projector is a perfect way to carry your entertainment everywhere. One can enjoy watching their favourite videos or discussing work on a bigger screen with the help of this wifi pocket-size projector. Some features of this projector are as follows –
- This projector can be used to project on a bigger screen with the help of HDMI, USB, Airplay, Miracast or Bluetooth.
- It can be connected with a smartphone via the Nebula Connect app.
- The projector can be operated by a transparent touch panel.
- It is a wireless option to watch movies, shows and other media hassle-free.
- It can be paired with a Bluetooth speaker for an immersive experience.
6. Qubo Smart WiFi Wireless Video Doorbell from Hero Group | Instant Visitor Video Call on Phone | Intruder Alarm System | 1080P FHD Camera | 2-Way Talk | Works with Alexa & Google | 36 Chime Tunes
This smart doorbell is a perfect product to step up your smart home game by securing the entrance of your home. This is ideal for use in apartments as well as standalone bungalows. The specifications of this smart doorbell are as follows –
- The instant visitor video call feature of the doorbell helps the residents keep a tab on their front door at all times from anywhere.
- It has an advanced built-in intruder alarm system to alert the residents of forced entry.
- The doorbell secures the home with the help of a 1080 full HD camera.
- The smart doorbell can be operated using the voice assistants Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Offers 36 bell tunes.
- It features a 2-way talk mode to allow the residents to interact with their visitors.
- Offers Visitor’s time-lapse video feature to provide video footage of the entire day.
- It supports an SD card of up to 128 GB to store data.
7. LAVNA Smart Lock LA28 with Bluetooth Mobile App, Fingerprint, PIN, OTP, RFID Card and Manual Key Access for Wooden Doors (Black)
In addition to a smart doorbell, a smart lock would take aid in leveling up the security of your spaces. There are a lot of features that these smart locks come equipped with, which are as follows –
- This secured lock operates through passcodes, mobile applications, fingerprints, RFID cards and OTP.
- The lock is fast with an unlocking speed of 0.4 seconds.
- It has a 360-degree fingerprint sensor for efficient unlocking of the door.
- The auto-lock feature automatically locks the door once it shuts.
- It comes with an array of operational options such as public mode, temporary access codes, OTP, etc.
- The memory stores all the unlocking logs to allow for proper tracking of records.
- There is an indicator to notify the users of low battery and in case the battery drains out completely, the lock can function with the help of a USB cable powered by a normal power bank.
Select the best from the 10 Best Smart Door Locks to Upgrade the Security of Your Home
8. Atomberg Renesa+ 1200 mm BLDC Motor with Remote 3 Blade Ceiling Fan (Oakwood)
This ceiling fan is a perfect add-on for your home’s journey towards automation. The fan has an elegance that will render your spaces with class. Some specifications of this fan are as follows –
- The fan comprises energy efficient BLDC motor which consumes only 28 to 32 W even at the highest speed, which helps in saving on the power bills.
- There is an LED indicator for speed, which doubles up as a night lamp.
- The speed can be modulated by toggling the power switch and does not require a regulator to change the speed of the fan.
- The fan runs consistently even during voltage stabilizations owing to the Inverter Stabilization technology.
- Certain fan features can be operated using the remote within a distance of up to 20 ft. The features consist of boost, sleep, speed control and timer.
- This fan has a wood finish coated for dust resistance.
- The fan is ideal for an area coverage of 140 sq ft with a high speed of 340 RPM.
Make an upgrade with our expert recommendation to the 10 Best-Selling Smart Ceiling Fans with Alexa and Remote
9. Fire TV Stick (3rd Gen, 2021) with all-new Alexa Voice Remote (includes TV and app controls) | HD streaming device | 2021 release
This generation of the Fire Stick is about 50% more powerful as compared to the previous one. With a click or simple voice command and one can enjoy HD streaming of their favourite show or movie. Some features of it are as follows –
- If you like to binge-watch web series or movies, then this is the smart device for you.
- It is equipped with Dolby Atmos which gives an immersive experience to the users.
- One can view an array of movies, web series, videos, etc. over various OTT platforms.
- You can easily search, operate and play the content with your voice through Alexa.
- It is easy to set up and conceal.
- It can be connected with an HDMI port to the television set.
- One can browse the internet too with the in-built browser.
- Content from a Phone or laptop can be mirrored using the fire stick and one can even pair up their Bluetooth headphones.
- One can optimize their data usage by customizing the video quality in addition to monitoring the data usage.
10. Yale AC-DC Sync Smart Home Alarm Accessory Door/Window Sensor, White, App Control, DIY Friendly, for Securing Main Access Points
The smart home alarm is a much-required device in a smart home. It helps in securing and keeping a tab on the security of your home from afar as well. The features of this alarm include –
- This smart home alarm is made of Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS).
- The alarm helps in securing the access points of your home, in case a window or door is opened its alarm is triggered. It provides real-time notifications and alerts in case of emergency or forced entry.
- It gives wire-free protection up to a range of 200 m.
- The smart alarm is made using the latest technology to provide secured encryption to provide adequate protection and security.
- One can check in for the security of your homes from anywhere in the world.
- The smart alarm can sync with Philips Hue and Amazon Alexa to create an illusion in the absence of the residents.
- Easy to set up and can be operated completely with the help of the Yale Home app via smart devices.
11. All-new Echo Show 10- 10.1" HD smart display with motion, premium sound and Alexa (Black)
This is an all-rounder model when it comes to having a home camera system, wireless speakers, smart voice assistant, so on and so forth. This gadget is a pick that can multitask. Some features of this interesting smart device are as follows –
- This smart speaker comes with a 10.1” screen that aligns with the movement of the user’s face.
- It can be voice-controlled using Alexa in English and Hindi.
- One can even watch their favourite shows or stream movies, news and the latest weather update on the screen.
- It has a built-in 13 MP camera which can help in keeping an eye on your home remotely.
- One can have a complete view of the house by using zoom and pan functions.
- It can help in operating other smart devices like smart lights, locks, plugs, etc.
- Has layers of privacy protection for enhanced security of the users.
- One can set reminders, timers and create schedules through voice commands. the lock has a dual mode of access, that is, it works with an RFID card and passcode.
12. Qubo Wireless Smart Security System with Intruder Alarm System, Full HD Camera, Smart Sensors and Emergency Call Alert
This is a smart device that packs an array of functions in a compact device. Some features of this smart security system are as follows –
- It can be operated using an app, which could be used to operate other Qubo devices as well.
- It is equipped with a smoke detection system, thereby providing security in case of fire or smoke through notifications.
- It aids in complete house security and protection.
- It can be operated via voice commands through Alexa, which in turn can aid in controlling other smart home devices as well.
- In case of security breaches, the users get alerts via phone calls.
- It can act as a Bluetooth speaker as well.
- It is equipped with a full HD camera and smart sensors for better efficiency and security surveillance.
13. Sony Bravia 164 cm (65 inches) 4K Ultra HD Smart LED Google TV KD-65X85J (Black) (2021 Model) | with Alexa Compatibility
A 4K HDR smart LED TV is one of the hassle-free ways to move towards home automation. Some specifications of Sony Bravia’s smart TV are as follows –
- This smart television has a resolution of 4K Ultra HD with a refresh rate of 120 hertz.
- It has 4 HDMI and 2 USB ports to provide better connectivity.
- Has an amazing sound output of 20 watts with X-balanced speakers. The Dolby Atmos aids in ambient sound optimization.
- It supports voice search with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- The TV supports Google TV, Chromecast, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Apple airplay and Apple home kit.
14. Mi Air Purifier 3 with True HEPA Filter and Smart App Connectivity
With the ever depreciating air quality in our cities, owning an air purifier is becoming essential. This air purifier by Mi is a considerable choice in this niche that offers smart connectivity to aid in home automation. Some features of this air purifier are as follows –
- This air filter is a true HEPA filter with an efficiency of 99.97%.
- It is ideal to filter particle sizes up to 0.3 microns.
- It has an LED touch display, which displays the PM 2.5 concentration, temperature and humidity in real-time.
- It can be controlled via a dedicated app through a smartphone or tablet over a wireless network.
- It can be voice-controlled using Google Assistant and Alexa.
- It offers 360 degrees of air intake with 3 layer filtration.
- It has a high CADR (cleaning air delivery rate) of 380 cu.m/hr. It can provide 6333 liters of clean air per minute.
- The effective coverage area of the purifier is up to 484 sq. ft.
- It is energy efficient and at the same time is designed for no noise generation.
15. TP-Link Tapo C100 1080p Full HD Indoor WiFi Spy Security Camera| Night Vision | Two Way Audio| Intruder Alert | Works with Alexa and Google, White
This security camera is a smart layer that one can add to the security layer of automated homes. The sleek and minimalistic design will keep an eye on the intruders without becoming an eyesore in your interior spaces. Some specifications of this smart security camera are as follows –
- This security camera records all the images in 1080 (HD).
- It is equipped for advanced night vision and can provide a visual distance of up to 30’ at night or in dark.
- The camera notifies the users in case of any movement that it detects.
- In case of unwanted visitors, the camera trigger light and sound effects to scare or shock the visitors.
- It aids in two-way communication through a built-in mic and speaker.
- It can store up to 128 GB of data on a micro SD card which is equivalent to 16 days of footage (in ideal conditions).
- It can be controlled using the Tapo app from a smartphone.
16. Smarteefi Modular WiFi Smart Switch Board, 3 Switch Control, 1 Fan Speed Control, 1 Smart Plug, Compatible with Alexa & Google Home, White (Size: 6M (220mmx90mmx40mm)
Smart switchboards are a step forward when considering home automation. These can be remotely controlled through an app or voice control over a wi-fi network. Some features of this smart switchboard are as follows –
- This smart switchboard has 3 switches for lighting, 1 switch for the socket and 1 smart fan regulator.
- Each switch or connection on this switchboard can be individually controlled by the Smarteefi app or controlled by voice assistants Alexa and Google Assistant.
- The switchboard is customizable by adding the required modules.
- It has a manual override switch that aids in switching the control of appliances from automatic to manual mode.
- One can create weekly and daily schedules for better automating the functions. In addition to scheduling, other timing features available are countdown timer, loop timer and delay timer.
- The switchboard can run even in case of loss of internet or power cut.
- One can create smart scenes using this smart switchboard by controlling multiple devices simultaneously with a tap on the screen or a single voice command.
- It sends notifications to the users in case the board has been operated in their absence.
17. ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat, 2nd Gen
This is a powerful smart thermostat that takes care of the temperature settings adequately, even when one is not at home. Some specifications of this smart thermostat are as follows –
- This smart thermostat is energy star certified and designed to save up to 23% on annual energy costs.
- It can be controlled from anywhere through iOS and Android smartphones.
- It provides integrations via Alexa, Apple Homekit, Google Assistant, SmartThings and IFTTT.
- The temperature adjustments can be made from remote locations at any time.
- It is compatible with a SmartSensor which can be kept anywhere in the home for total comfort and control.
- The SmartSensor learns the routine of the users and recommends the changes accordingly.
- It detects the occupancy of a space and manages the temperature accordingly.
- If a window or door has been left open for 5 minutes, the thermostat would automatically turn off the AC and send in a notification.
18. Wipro 16A Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring- Suitable for Large Appliances like Geysers, Microwave Ovens, Air Conditioners (Works with Alexa and Google Assistant)- White
This 16A smart plug by Wipro is ideal for high-power consumption appliances. Some features of this smart plug are as follows –
- This smart plug is made of polycarbonate for enhanced durability and safety.
- This is ideal for high-power consumption appliances like a geyser, air conditioners, etc.
- It offers remote operations of electrical devices through the Wipro Smart app.
- It helps in monitoring the energy consumption of your devices thus helping in keeping tabs on power consumption and bills thereof.
- It supports voice control through voice assistants Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- One can schedule the working of their devices according to one’s schedule to make life a little easier.
This will surely help you to select the 10 Best Smart Plugs to Make your Life Easier
19. Philips 10-Watt Smart Wi-Fi LED Ceiling Lamp Downlighter WiZ Connected (Shades of White + Dimmable + Pre-Set Modes) (Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant)
Philips smart downlighter is an interesting choice when looking for smart lighting in smart homes. Some features of this smart downlighter are as follows –
- This 10 watts downlighter has a CRI of 90 giving an ambient light.
- The smart light can be controlled via voice assistants – Alexa and Google assistant.
- The fixture has two light modes – cool white and warm white.
- The light has a total of 25000 hours.
- It can be tuned using a Wiz wi-fi remote and app which helps in setting the timer, schedules and dimming the light.
You must check out the 10 Best Smart Light Bulbs to Brighten Up Your Spaces
20. Kohler 18656IN-ND-CP Metal Touchless Sensor Faucet, Silver, Chrome Finish
This touchless faucet works on motion sensors that aid in its automated working. Some specifications of this touchless faucet are as follows –
- This chrome finished faucet is constructed using Kinesis technology with a concealed sensor.
- It has a clean and elegant aesthetic.
- The faucet is highly durable and reliable.
- With its superior design, it is suitable for both residential and commercial purposes.
- The faucet is equipped with an advanced Time of Flight sensor, which starts dispersing water in less than 0.75 seconds.
- It has an auto-stop feature that stops the flow of water after a minute, thus aiding in saving water.
We are steadily progressing towards home automation and smart homes, with the help of these 20 smart home devices, one can bring their home closer to automation. Upgrading our homes to smart homes with the help of these devices can make our lives a little easier. They come with various options of control and operations. Most of the smart devices are operable by a click on the screen or a mere voice command over a wi-fi network. One can create schedules and run the devices even in their absence to create an illusion of their presence for the outsiders. To conclude, we recommend that before one opts for smart devices, go through the ins and outs of smart devices and the concept of smart homes. Be sure of things before you delve deeper into the world of smart homes functioning with smart devices.
If there are any smart home devices that you feel can be added to the list, feel free to post your suggestions!
Join our newsletter!
Enter your email to receive our latest newsletter.
Don't worry, we don't spam
10 Best Smart Light Bulbs to Brighten Up Your Spaces
20 Best Smart Home Devices to Make your Home A Lot More Automated
10 Best Video Doorbells to Upgrade the Security Measures of your Home
10 Best Smart Switches for Home Automation
10 Best-Selling Smart Ceiling Fans with Alexa and Remote
10 Hot-Selling Smart Water Heaters/Geysers for Smart Bathroom
Make your home smarter with these 10 best smart plugs! These nifty devices give you remote access to everything in
Upgrade your home or office with the latest smart light bulbs! These devices make your space look brighter and more
Upgrade your home security with one of these ten great smart door locks. They come in many different styles and
Looking for a ceiling fan that conveniently controls with your voice? Check out these ten best-selling models with Alexa!
Upgrade your bedroom lighting with one of these 10 best smart lamps.