10 Best Smart Plugs to Make your Life Easier
Disclaimer: planndesign.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. You may read our disclaimer policy for more information.
With us being surrounded by smart objects and devices, it is about time that our homes become smart too. Smart plugs offer the first step to converting your homes into smart homes. These are easy to install and help in operating your electronic gadgets from the comfort of your bed. Basically, smart plugs have the potential to convert a run-of-the-mill device or appliance into a smart one. These plugs are available across various designs and features. While smart plugs are gaining popularity in the present times, it is vital to know the intricacies attached to them. Following are a set of some insights and questions that might arise related to the smart plugs –
What are Smart Plugs and how do they work?
A smart plug is basically an adapter that can be integrated with a standard socket. This works over a wireless connection to operate electronic devices remotely. It can be considered as the first step towards setting up a smart home. Once plugged into a standard socket, the plug can be connected to a wireless network via an app. Once connected, the appliances can be operated by a click of a button or a voice command.
Costs attached with the Smart Plugs?
Smart plugs are steadily making their space in the market. A smart plug can range anywhere from 700 to 1400 and higher, depending on the features and quality that it offers.
Points to consider while choosing Smart Plugs
While choosing a smart plug, several points should be considered that are as follows –
When selecting a smart plug, the compatibility of the smart plug and the devices should be given due consideration. In addition, compatibility with the existing wall plugs should also be considered.
- Voice Assistant:
The voice assistants help control the devices easily and comfortably. Most plugs function with a voice assistant. When looking for a smart plug that functions with a voice assistant like Alexa, Google Assistant or Siri, go in for one that is compatible with the voice assistant that you already use or are willing to use. In addition, try to go in for a model that is compatible with multiple voice assistants.
The design of the smart plug should be considered as the design determines the usability and durability of the gadget. There are certain designs that aid in expanding the number of outlets in case one is short of outlet sockets.
- Energy Considerations:
Some smart plugs help in monitoring the energy consumption of various appliances. This helps in adhering to energy-efficient practices. The monitoring is done via an app, which, in addition to energy consumption also charts out the peak consumption hours.
- Scheduling ability:
A few smart plugs let you schedule the powering on and off of the devices. This adds to the convenience factor attached to smart gadgets and smart homes.
Smart plugs are available for use both indoors and outdoors. Therefore, it is pertinent to go through the features of the plug thoroughly. This is necessary as the smart plugs meant for indoors cannot be used for outdoors. The usability of a smart plug is an important consideration in the process of selecting a smart plug.
Advantages of Smart Plugs?
Smart plugs come with their set of advantages to make our lives a tad bit easier by making our usual electronics a tad bit smarter. Some advantages are as follows –
- Enables remote operations, management and monitoring of appliances and electronic devices.
- Operation of devices through voice commands.
- These are easy to use and portable.
- Owing to the temperature control and auto shut-off features, smart plugs can help in safeguarding homes and appliances.
- These can help schedule the operations of your appliances and electronic devices.
- It can help in deceiving the outsiders in one’s absence by a feature called presence simulation.
Are there any drawbacks of Smart Plugs?
In addition to their advantages, the smart plugs also offer their set of drawbacks. A few drawbacks are as follows –
- The smart plugs draw electricity even when the appliances or electronic devices are powered off.
- Dependence on the internet and thereby its bandwidth.
- Depending on the design of the smart plug, the size can be inconvenient when compared with conventional plugs.
Application areas for Smart Plugs
Owing to the simple working of smart plugs, the application areas are endless. With just a command through the app or to the voice assistant, you can easily switch on or off a gadget from the comfort of your bed. These can be used to run coffee machines, air conditioners, heaters, lighting devices, ovens, electric cookers and ranges, etc. The possibilities of the application of smart plugs are endless.
If you have a bent to take the first step towards a smart home with smart plugs. The following are the 10 best smart plug options to consider –
1. Portronics Splug 10 Wifi 10A Smart Plug Suitable for TVs, Fan, Light, Music System Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant (White)
This smart plug offers a home automation experience to the users. This plug with its chic look is bound to add class to your home. Some features of this plug are as follows –
- This 10A plug operates with the help of wi-fi connectivity via voice assistants Alexa and Google assistant.
- The Portronics SmartHome mobile app helps keep a track of energy consumption with the help of an energy metering feature.
- It allows you to set a schedule to power on and off your devices.
- Helps in remote operations of your devices by integrating the devices and smart plug with the Portronics mobile app.
- The plug is suitable for appliances like television, fans, lamps, music systems, chargers, etc.
- This plug is made of fire-resistant polycarbonate material.
2. Introducing Amazon Smart Plug (works with Alexa) - 6A, Easy Set-Up
This smart plug by Amazon is a hassle-free option to smartly operate your gadgets with the help of voice commands to Alexa. The features of this smart plug are as follows –
- The smart plug helps in operating the devices remotely.
- One can set up customized schedules through the Alexa app to automate daily activities.
- It is easy to set up and gives a stress-free experience.
- The plug comes with a power state retention feature that ensures that the devices go back to the last state if a power outage or resumption happens.
- It can be used to operate lamps, table fans, chargers, electric kettles, television, etc.
3. Zebronics ZEB-SP110, Smart Wi-Fi Plug Compatible with Google Assistant & Alexa, Supports Upto 10A and Comes with a Dedicated APP That Features Scheduled Control
The high-tech digital lock comes with numerous user-friendly features. This is a chic product to make your home secured and the locking–unlocking process easy at the same time. The specifications are as follows –
- This plug helps in controlling the devices and electrical appliances remotely with the help of the Zeb Home app.
- It works seamlessly with voice assistants – Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- One can easily set schedules to power on and off the connected devices.
- It helps in setting timers thereby aiding in saving energy.
- The plug supports appliances such as television, refrigerator, washing machine, geysers, lamps, so on and so forth.
4. HomeMate WiFi Smart Plug Socket, Works with Amazon Alexa and Google home, 10A
This 10A socket is a considerable choice to power your devices and appliances with ease. Its specifications are as follows –
- The plug supports voice assistants – Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- It is very easy to install and use.
- Provides the option of accessing your devices remotely from anywhere around the world with a touch on the screen of your smartphone or tablet.
- One can schedule the powering on and off of the devices through the app (HomeMate Smart app) thereby helping in automizing the devices and appliances for efficient routine.
- There is a feature called smart scene which is works on factors such as temperature, humidity or other conditions.
- It is apt to use the plug for lamps, outdoor lighting, LED lighting fixtures, fans, television and other such appliances.
5. Amazon Brand - Solimo Smart Plug, 6A, Works with Alexa
Solimo’s 6A plug is a perfect first step towards operating your gadgets and appliances and at the same time taking a plunge towards setting up a smart home. The smart plug offers the following features –
- This plug is apt for operating devices with a D socket that works with wattage less than 1400 watts.
- It is made of polycarbonate for better durability.
- The devices can be controlled by linking them to the plug using the ‘Smart Life’ mobile app.
- The plug helps in keeping tabs on the energy consumption, powering the devices on or off.
- Supports the voice assistant Alexa for easy operations of your devices through the plug.
- One can easily time and schedule the operations of their devices to make life easier.
6. totem 10 amp Wi-Fi Smart Plug Automatic Power Cut Off Timer Socket with Programmable Countdown Control Switch- Suitable for Low Power Appliances like Mobile & Laptop chargers, TV, Lamp (White)
This smart plug is a considerable option if one is looking to operate low-power devices. The plug comes with an array of features, a few of which are as follows –
- The socket has a timer with a programmable countdown control switch which aids in protection against overcharging at the same time-saving energy.
- Operates via voice assistants Alexa and Google Home Assistant.
- The devices can be controlled remotely via the app.
- It lets one schedule the devices based on one’s routine, thereby saving time.
- The plugs are made of fire retardant material with surge protection.
- This 10A plug is suitable for low-power devices and appliances.
- Supports devices such as television, electric kettle, table fans, set top boxes, air purifiers, lighting fixtures, coffee maker, so on and so forth.
7. Tata Power EZ Home 5/10A Wi-Fi Smart Plug and works as Universal Remote for AC, TV and Set Top Box, Android and iOS Support Mobile App, Timer to Automate Operation, Tracks Power Usage
This smart plug by Tata Power is moth minimalistic and efficient. It comes in a variation of 6A and 13A. A few features of this smart plug are as follows –
- One can operate their devices and appliances remotely via the EZ home app.
- This plug supports the voice assistants Google Home and Amazon’s Alexa for voice-controlled operations of the appliances.
- One can schedule and set timers leading to undue wastage of electricity thereby saving on the bills. The plug along with the app has a performance tracking feature that lets you set a limit on the monthly energy consumption.
- The operations are remote thereby making the use easy and comfortable.
- It is ideas to operate appliances such as television, set top box, toaster, fans, etc.
8. Helea 16A Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring, for High Power Appliances (AC, Geyser, Motor, etc.), Works with Alexa & Google Assistant
This elegant smart plug is a must consider option. It is all the more preferred if you have been using Helea devices or are planning to integrate Helea devices with this smart plug. Some specifications of this smart plug are as follows –
- The smart plug offers remote operations from anywhere in the world through the Helea Smart app.
- There is an option to create custom automation and create scenes when using Helea devices with the smart plug.
- There can be schedules and timers set to efficiently manage the daily chores.
- Supports voice assistants Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- It helps in monitoring the energy consumption through the app thus aiding in saving power and the bills thereof.
- The plugs are made of high quality flame retardant material enhanced with surge protection.
9. Wipro 16A Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring- Suitable for Large Appliances like Geysers, Microwave Ovens, Air Conditioners (Works with Alexa and Google Assistant)- White
This elegant smart plug is ideal for high-power consumption appliances. Some features of this plug are as follows –
- This smart plug is made of polycarbonate for enhanced durability and safety.
- This is ideal for high-power consumption appliances like a geyser, air conditioners, etc.
- It offers remote operations of electrical devices through the Wipro Smart app.
- It helps in monitoring the energy consumption of your devices thus helping in keeping tabs on power consumption and bills thereof.
- It supports voice control through voice assistants Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- One can schedule the working of their devices according to the schedule to make life a tad bit easier.
10. Wemo Mini Smart Plug
This is a sleek plug that makes space for multiple plugs giving a neat look to the corner. Some specifications of this smart plug are as follows –
- This plug lets you control your devices from anywhere on the globe through its app.
- It can be voice-controlled through voice assistants Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- This is a compact and sleek smart plug that can be stacked in the same outlet.
- Set a schedule to automatically operate the devices.
- The plug is equipped with an ‘Away mode’, which gives an illusion of occupancy even when the owners are not home.
- Supports voice assistants Alexa and Google Home for voice-controlled operations.
These are the 10 smart plugs that can help in making your life a tad bit easier. Smart plugs are just the first step towards a smart home or automated home. However, like any other device, one should do thorough research about the plugs that you consider and shortlist for your homes. While the costs might seem affordable, the costs when compared with the conventional plugs are quite steep. Therefore, one should consider all the pros, cons and features of the smart plug before taking the plunge. To conclude, we recommend that one goes through the insights discussed above in detail. While all the aforementioned smart plugs are equally considerable, my choice for the smart plug would be Amazon Smart Plug. The choice of the smart plug can vary based on the various features.
If there are any smart plugs that you feel can be added to the list, feel free to post your suggestions!
Best smart home gadgets online buy smart gadgets buying guide Best Smart Plugs 2022 Best Smart Plugs to Buy in India Best Wi Fi Smart Plugs in India
Product Category Smart Home Products
AMAZON AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If this post inspired you, share it with others so that they can be inspired too!!
Relevant Product Guides
Water heaters or geysers as we know them in many households are…
With our homes becoming smarter by the day, we must take the security…
With everything getting smart, it is time to turn your homes smart.…
Switches are an integral part of any home. Today, switches are not…
Home security is one of the primary concerns of any homeowner. Video…
Ceiling fans have been an integral part of our spaces for years in…
Home automation, though a new concept today, would be a run-of-the-…
Popular Product Guides
Most viewed Product Guides
Though a conference room chair might not be as much used as a regular…
It is said that your workspace is a reflection of the mind.…
Making models is a very important part of an architect’s life –…
Visitor chairs are important for the office environment as every…
The work conditions are constantly changing and we are observing a…