The Top 10 Essential Stationery, an Architect’s Office Must have
Disclaimer: planndesign.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. You may read our disclaimer policy for more information.
Architecture is a field where your skills are constantly put to use. The tools which one uses can determine the quality of the work produced. These assistive tools are not only essential for any architect’s office but selecting the right stationery supplies is also of paramount importance. With changes in technology and working environments, picking up the right stationery supplies can be daunting.
From previous experiences and careful research, we have prepared a list to clear all your doubts about which products you should be adding to your office, some feasible and reliable essentials to help you while working. Following is the list of these selected 10 essential stationery items that an architect’s office must-have.
1. Technical Mechanical Pencil- Staedtler Mars 780 Mechanical Pencil
- One cannot begin to list essential stationery items without a good mechanical pencil. Every architect should possess at least a couple of these.
- Whether it be hand drafting, sketching or drawing, an architect’s office is empty without this fundamental tool.
- The Staedtler Mars 780 Mechanical Pencil serves as a high quality and durable product.
- It provides 2mm thick line size and its design ensures accuracy in drawing.
- It is easy to use with a push-button and metal clip and provides a good grip.
Also, check out The Top 10 Best Mechanical Pencils for Architects and Designers
2. Notebook- Leuchtturm1917 Notebook A5 Hardcover (Medium) Black
- For everyday notes and quick sketching, a notebook should always be available at a hand’s length from the architect.
- An ideal notebook is one that is portable but not too small.
- Leuchtturm 1917 notebook is the go-to notebook for all the diverse uses by an architect.
- It is made with good quality ink-proof paper and also prevents bleed-through from watercolors.
- It comes with multiple useful details like an inner pocket, page marker and elastic closure.
- It lays flat which means one can work from various directions easily.
Also, check out The Top 10 Notebooks to Carry for Architect-Client Meeting
3. Architect’s Scale and Metal Ruler- OwnMy 3 Pack 12 Inch Solid Aluminum Triangular Architect Scale Ruler Set, Architectural and Engineer scale Ruler Set, Professional Laser Etched Scales Drafting Rulers for Blueprints and Civil Engineer
- Scales and rulers add accuracy to an architect’s work. It would be impossible to imagine making scaled drawings without the use of rulers.
- Rulers are also responsible for cutting straight edges for making small scale models.
- The best choice is this set of 1 architects’ scale, 1 engineer’s scale and a metal ruler.
- This is a highly durable product that comes with laser-etched markings and solid core aluminium ensure long life and reliability.
- The color contrast of the markings enhances its visibility.
Also, check out The Top 10 Scale/Ruler for Architects and Designers
4. Measuring Tape- Stanley STHT36067-812 5-meter Tough Case Tape
- As an architect, we are aware of how indispensable a measuring tape is. So much so that, it is considered an extension of the architect’s body.
- From measuring spaces to furniture to other architectural components, it makes the work process easier and quicker and therefore any architect’s office should have it easily available.
- This Stanley 5-m. power tape comes with a lock-on button to endure safety.
- The power return tape is nylon-coated to ensure durability in harsh environments.
- It is constructed and designed in a tough case to prevent breakage and damage.
Also, check out The Top 10 Best Measuring Tape for Architects and Designers
5. Adjustable Triangle- Isomars Adjustable Set Squares - 10" - Made by Acrylic with Permanent Engraved Marking
- For precision in drawing and ability to draw at various angles, an adjustable triangle is absolutely essential drafting tool.
- Isomars 10”, adjustable triangle is a high-quality product which does exactly what it says.
- This adjustable triangle boasts of high accuracy and visibility with its engraved markings.
- It is easy to set at different angles with an aluminum thumbscrew.
6. Pens and Markers- Staedtler Lumocolor 318 Fine 0.6MM Line Permanent Pen, 8 Shades
- To add flair to your sketches and drawings, coloured pens and markers are a major part of an architect’s designing process.
- They also make your drawings more communicative to the clients.
- Staedtler Lumocolor permanent pens are an excellent choice for colored markers and they come in a variety of different colors.
- These are 0.6mm in line weight and ensure fine lines.
- The permanent pens have smudge-proof and waterproof qualities and can be used on almost all surfaces.
Also, check out The Top 10 Best Smartpens for Architects and Designers
7. Drawing Set- Aala Survey Drawing Instruments Metal Box (Set of 13 Parts)
- Even with all the technological advancements, an architect should always be prepared for manual drawing which satiates the inner creative soul.
- This drawing set combo comes with all the instruments you could ever need for hand drawing purposes.
- It consists of 13 components that are made from steel and come in a metal box.
8. Retractable Cutting Knife- Darice Retractable Razor Knife Set, Assorted Color (6 Knives)
- For frequent modeling purposes, retractable knives make it to the top of the essential items for an architecture firm.
- Darice retractable knife set comes with 6 knives with varying sizes for different cutting functions.
- The knives are easy to work with as their plastic encasing makes them lightweight.
- This set comes with replaceable blades increasing the product usability rating.
9. Self-Healing Cutting Mat- SE CMG1219 12" x 9" Self-Healing Double-Sided Cutting Mat
- An important item for model-making. A self-healing mat is one of the most useful yet under-rated items.
- The mat provides a reusable base for cutting paper, cardboard and other materials.
- It prevents scratching and wearing of table-tops and the self-healing properties make it easier to cut over it again and again without creating an uneven surface.
- It comes with measured grids to make scaled cutting for architectural models easier.
Also, check out The Top 7 Most Versatile Self-Healing Cutting Mats
10. Architectural Templates- Mr. Pen- Architectural Templates, House Plan Template, Interior Design Template, Furniture Template, Drafting Tools, Geometry Template, Drawing Template, Template Architecture, Drafting Ruler Shapes
- With computer-aided drawing possible today, one might wonder how an architectural template can add value to the office.
- During tight deadlines and busy schedules, a small error or missing component in the printed drawings can wreak havoc. These templates can be a life savior in such moments of disaster.
- The Architectural Templates by Mr. Pen provide a versatile range of templates which include house plan, furniture, kitchen, bed & bath templates.
It is important to mention here that although the given list can get the essential work done, one can always keep building on this collection. This list should be viewed as a starting point of your supplies collection for your architecture office.
With that being said, I would further recommend some products which missed the list. These include: color pencils, watercolors, tracing sheets, Paper-holder, French curves, and other stencils, drafting pens and the list goes on.
Hope this list was helpful if you have any thoughts and ideas for the same or you would like to add to the list, feel free to put forward your suggestions. Till then, happy working!
Architect's Stationery Buying Guide best stationery for architect Architecture Stationery List of Architect's Stationery Architect's Stationery Online Buy
Product Category Architectural Stationery
AMAZON AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If this post inspired you, share it with others so that they can be inspired too!!
Relevant Product Guides
An architect’s desk is the place where the bread butter of an…
What is an artist without its tools? It goes without saying that an…
Pencils are indeed a very crucial tool for architects and designers…
From team meetings to informal client interactions, keeping a…
Pencils are the real weapon for any professional designer in order to…
If you come to think of it, everything is eventually becoming…
Modern times create modern technology. As rightly put, need is the…
Popular Product Guides
Most viewed Product Guides
Who doesn’t like gifts, especially on a festive occasion such as…
Working from home is not as easy as it seems to be. To develop a…
The Architects desk can easily become filled with clutter like pens,…
Lighting is an important element of Diwali, for it is the festival of…