The Top 10 Best Drafting Pencils for Architects and Designers
Disclaimer: planndesign.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. You may read our disclaimer policy for more information.
Pencils are indeed a very crucial tool for architects and designers to produce masterpieces of their work. Conventional wooden pencils have lost the race with the invention of so many other drafting pencils in the market that gives a uniform and accurate strokes. Rough and thick lines are never preferred by the professionals as they fail to give depth to their work. The dependency over these fine drafting pencils is rising in the market since it is the very first step to achieve a masterpiece from a mind to a paper.
Also, check out-:
Here's a compiled list of few drafting pencils which could help you make a wise decision while getting one for you:
1. Pentel Graph Gear 1000 Automatic Drafting Pencil - Brushed Metal Barrel
- This versatile and superior pencil comes with a dual retraction tip.
- Extra working comfort for this pencil because of fine metallic grip with soft latex-free pads.
- This set of fancy pencils is of great use because it offers a different range of lead sizes, making it easier for the user to give required depth to their work.
- It offers comfortable writing due to rubber grip.
2. Staedtler Mars 780 Mechanical Pencil
- This drafting pencil is very simple to use and does not clog up like other cheap pencils.
- It is made of metal and has a rotary sharpener for the lead at the back of it.
- The sturdy grip works best for writing, sketching, drawing and detailing.
- It can be loaded with HB, 2B, 4B lead according to the kind of work.
3. Koh-i-Noor Mechanical Hardtmuth Lead Holder with 5.6mm x 80mm Lead
- This beautiful pencil has a classy black body with silver accents that easily catches your eye.
- It helps in producing solid dark strokes with fine texture.
- Shorter than the normal size of other pens /pencils but even then it is easy to hold and works comfortably.
- It comes with a sharpener in the cap and this brand offers various colored leads for this pencil.
4. rOtring 800+ Mechanical Pencil and Touchscreen Stylus, 0.7 mm, Black Barrel
- Matt black pencil with red and golden highlights comes with an eraser inside the cap, has astonishing build quality.
- The lead does not break easily because of the fixed lead guidance sleeve.
- Comfortable stellar grip and metal barrel ensure its durability for a longer period.
- The unique feature of “twist and click” covers the entire sleeve as well as lead making it pocket safe for users.
5. Pilot Mechanical Pencil S20 (0.5 mm, Deep Red)
- This gorgeous and precise instrument has a nicely contoured birch wooden body featured with aluminum parts on it.
- Available in various colors and lead sizes giving a range of options to choose from.
- The minimalist design makes it comfortable for long hours of work.
- Produce fine strokes while sketching and works smoothly while writing too.
6. Pentel GraphGear 500 Automatic Drafting Pencil, Black
- Superior drafting pencil offers various lead sizes and color-coding.
- Metallic mesh grip on beveled barrel regulates the control on a pencil while drafting and template work without pencil tip breaking.
- High polymer lead in this pencil does not require any sharpener and produce perfect crystal clear and fine strokes.
- Lightweight pencil with superior and sturdy design comes with an eraser at the back of it with a cap.
7. Uni Mechanical Pencil Kurutoga Pipe Slide Model 0.5mm, Black Body
- This pencil comes with a pipe slide system and cross rotation mechanism which makes it different from many other conventional mechanical pencils.
- It produces strokes with consistency without breaking the lead because of lead rotation after every 20 strokes.
- Lightweight and clear plastic design make look classy.
- Perfect of writing, sketching and technical drawing too.
8. Alvin DM07 Draft-Matic Mechanical Pencil 0.7mm
- Sturdy design made up of plastic with highlights of aluminum on it.
- Perfect for drafting and technical drawing work as a lead in it works consistently.
- The metallic grip is semi-jagged which is makes it very comfortable to hold while working.
- Strokes produced with this affordable pencil are a bit darker and thicker than the usual ones.
9. Uni Mechanical Pencil Kurutoga Roulette Model, Silver, 0.5 mm
- Fantastic rotating mechanical pencil by Mitsubishi Japan having a perfect grip and weight.
- The lead keeps rotating while its usage giving a finely pointed tip to work.
- The perfect combination of steel and aluminum body which is a well-crafted design.
- This pencil works effortlessly for sketching as well as writing.
10. Caran D'ache 844: Mechanical-pencil Metal 0.7 mm (Fluorescent Orange)
- The pencil has a hexagonal body made up of aluminum and has a very attractive color series.
- A balanced grip avoids slipping while performing precise work.
- It comes with HB lead and can be refilled with any 0.7mm lead for perfect strokes and writing without any interruption.
- Consist of hidden eraser under the push button of the pencil.
From the above-listed pencils, Staedtler Mars 780 technical drafting pencil is undoubtedly my favorite because it solves the dual purpose of writing as well as sketching as it could be loaded with HB, 2B, 4B accordingly. Having a sharpener at the back of it is definitely a plus point and I couldn’t settle for any pencil except this. I hope you find this list useful. Do mention in case I left any important brand in the list above.
Product Category Architectural Stationery
AMAZON AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If this post inspired you, share it with others so that they can be inspired too!!
Relevant Product Guides
From team meetings to informal client interactions, keeping a…
Being an architect is no easy task. From hand-made drawings to…
Pencils are the real weapon for any professional designer in order to…
Architecture is a field where your skills are constantly put to use.…
Modern times create modern technology. As rightly put, need is the…
For architects and designers, the most important and powerful tool is…
Calligraphy is simply an art. An art of producing the unique design…
Amongst various tools and equipment, rulers are the most essential…
Popular Product Guides
Most viewed Product Guides
With this list, we intend to optimize your tiny kitchen and enhance…
In the rat race for creating digital content, architects are not…
Every form of light adds an additional quality to the interior space…
As new architecture students, we have all been in a position where we…
An input device called MOUSE is the main or to be precise, the only…