An Expert Guide to Choosing Curtains for your Home
In interior design, curtains or draperies is more than just a way of blocking the light entering the room or a way of maintaining a stable warmthness. It’s a fact that a well-chosen curtain has a lot more to provide, to space it is being used, therefore, consider it as any other decorative accessory. And to accentuate the curtains in interiors, especially the curtains in home interiors, one need to follow a few steps to bring out changes in any room drastically.
Time To Give The Windows A Treatment - Types Of Window Treatments
To begin with, it's important to know the different types of window treatments as all these provide the same purpose be it to add in privacy, or to adjust the lighting, or to maintain a steady warmthness. Check it out!
Curtains: One of the most common types of window treatment, made of lighter weight fabric compared to drapes and are available in many different styles, colors, and patterns.
● Draperies: They are similar to curtains but are made of heavier fabric. And are available in many different styles, colors, patterns and styles such as the lined drape and pleated drape styles. They also come along with a string or rod pull, so they can be easily opened and closed.
Here we share a beautiful example of Refreshing Summer Drapery Ideas For Your Home
● Sheer: They are lightweight curtains made from sheer fabric and does not provide much privacy or block out the light.
● Shades: A shade is of the same width of that of a window, which is attached to a rod that allows the shade to be lifted up and down with a roller system.
Things To Consider While Choosing Curtains For Home
1. Color: Opt for light-colored curtains window such as whites, off-whites, beige, smokey gray either in solids or light prints, depending upon the color of the room for a relaxed look, as it creates an illusion of more space that too in style. Whereas, in a large room, dark-colored curtains can be used to create a very dramatic look. Be it a double-height living room or a grant master bedroom suite, these spaces are all perfect for those classic deep dark drapes. Moreover, subtle prints in the deep solid color base would add both depth and color to the room.
2. Fabric: Go for sheer curtains in small rooms. The sheer curtains will provide a breezy feel, allow light to enter and at the same time exhibit a luxurious feel. And when it comes to larger spaces opt for curtains or drapes instead of sheer curtains or team curtains and sheers, curtains and draperies or curtains and blinds together, in either subtle or bold prints or solid colors as it will add layers to the window, which would make the room look cozy. But while choosing curtains for living room, where the TV is placed facing the window, make sure to opt for blackout drapes as they have heavy lining and could entirely block light from entering.
3. Lines: Mostly small rooms comes along with low ceilings, in such cases go ahead with vertical patterns or textures, as it adds height to the room. And opting for curtains with horizontal patterns or textures in larger space would help in shrinking down the height.
4. Blend It In: Choose curtains in the same color or a slightly lighter shade than the walls, to provide uniformity in tiny rooms. Whereas do not shy away from using contrast colors and patterns in both subtle and bold form in medium-sized to a large room, depending upon the size. That is, the larger the room gets, the bolder the patterns get!
5. Length: Opt for the ceiling to floor length curtains, as it draws the eyes upwards along the entire length of the curtain, even this helps in creating an illusion of height in small rooms.
6. Rod Length: A rod shouldn't end just right over the windows, it should be of maximum width, extended on either side as it makes the window look larger as well as allows more light to enter the room.
7. Curtains Rods Decor: Choose a curtain pole that suits the style of the room. That is, opt for simple straight and sleek curtain rods in small rooms and mix plain vibrant colored curtains in medium to large sized room with a more decorative pole.
With all these details homeowners would know how important is it to pay attention to the curtains, as it can not only bring the welcoming feel or comfort but also pours in character and personality. Moreover, it should look good both during the day as well as the night light. Hence, paying attention to the overall design of the room is essential along with the color, texture and pattern for the curtains. As doing so will only lead you towards a space that shouts out grace and elegance!
Lastly, take a read of the most important Window Covering Dilemma - Blinds vs. Curtain
And an example of one such video uploaded on our Youtube channel
Join our newsletter!
Enter your email to receive our latest newsletter.
Don't worry, we don't spam
Bathroom Styling: How to Choose a Perfect Bathroom Mirror
Give your Dull Bedroom a Boost with these Design Tips
Bedroom Decor To Welcome Spring With A Touch Of Green
Under- Cabinet Kitchen Lighting Ideas & Tips
How to Decorate a Black and White Bedroom with a Splash of Color?
9 Spectacular Ways to Design the Wall Behind the Sofa
Want to spruce up your bedroom but don’t know where to start? These tips will give your bedroom an instant
Let's welcome spring all over our bedrooms with beautiful green bedroom decor! Explore different design ideas and find the perfect
Bring life to your stark black-and-white bedroom with a splash of color! Learn how to decorate your bedroom the right
Choosing the right wardrobe for your home is a big decision- do you want a sliding wardrobe or a hinge
Confused between Gypsum and POP for your home's false ceiling? Uncover the ideal choice for your space with our comprehensive
Most Viewed Articles
<span><span><span><span><span><span><span><span>Have you ever been more concerned about the fabric of the clothes rather than the style OR being more
<span><span><span><span lang="EN-IN" xml:lang="EN-IN"><span>2016 has seen a drastic change in interiors, especially where flooring is concerned. Portion of
<span><span><span><span><span><span>Ever since the influx of the marble in interiors, it has grabbed the attention and love of all aged people.
<span><span><span><span><span>Whenever we think of renovating our homes or office, first thing that comes into our mind is paints. Painting your
<span><span><span><span><span>For Indian homes, kitchen holds a very special and distinct place. People do not realize it but it is one
<span><span><span><span><span>Making your room, interiors, spaces, look different, catchy, attractive and impressive is all we want and desire hidden. But,