10 Most Popular Interior Design Styles, You should know
Interior design is about creating a space that suits one's personality and is more than just aesthetics.
With several interior design styles, the process of choosing one interior style among all becomes a daunting process hence, I am listing out ten such interior design styles which you should be knowing.
1. Retro Interior Design Style
Photo by Holly Marder - Browse living room ideas
● The retro interior design basically consists of styles from various decades, commonly from the period of 1950s, ’60s, and ’70s.
● This design style is all about the trends and styles from the past which is loud, fun and has a lively feel to it.
● Bright colors, wild designs are some of the common features of this cheerful design style.
2. Minimalist Interior Design Style
Photo by Daniel Marshall Architect - More kitchen ideas
● The minimalist design is all about simple, crisp-clean elements.
● The homes with minimalist interior design style consist of more open space which is filled with light.
● It has uncomplicated wall finishes, cladding and simple- sleek detailing.
● And this style has spacious rooms with minimum furniture and accessories which are of sharp geometric, streamlined shapes in neutral colors.
● Even shiny sleek surfaces with straight lines look amazing in this interior.
Here we share another design inspiration on Bedroom Makeover with Minimalistic Interiors
3. Modern Interior Design Style
Photo by J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern - Browse living room photos
● Modern design refers to a period of time which was created in the 1920s–1950s.
● The colors used consist more of naturals or neutrals.
● The style is about creating simple, uncluttered spaces with smooth, clean lines.
● Where furniture such as the sofas, chairs, and ottomans have exposed legs.
● And walls are often white and generally have bare floors.
● If area rugs are used, they are typical of wool and are neutral in color.
4. Zen Interior Design Style
Photo by SPACES [email protected] - Search pool pictures
● The motto of Zen interior design is to create peaceful homes.
● The design consists of simple, straight lines that do not shout out for attention.
● The storage units in Zen homes are built-in ones.
● Colors replicating nature and subtle patterns can be seen throughout the Zen homes.
5. Contemporary Interior Design Style
Photo by Bodagger Builders - Search family room pictures
● Contemporary interior design style keeps changing constantly, as it is created and produced right now.
● This design style is basically borrowed from a variety of styles and eras and is not tied down to one specific style.
6. Traditional Interior Design Style
Photo by Significant Homes LLC - Search dining room design ideas
● The traditional interior design style is all about the finer details, dark, refined colors and rich tones.
● Heavy drapes, area rugs in traditional styles are a must-have.
● The style exhibits elegance and comfort and is perfect for those who love symmetry, antiques, classic art pieces and design elements that are rich with history.
Also take a read of A Comparative Analysis Between Modern, Contemporary and Traditional Furniture
7. Rustic Interior Design Style
Photo by Kyle Hunt & Partners, Incorporated - Browse living room photos
● The design consists of rugged, natural elements hence textures are nature-inspired, simple and of earthy colors.
● Accents in muted colors such as browns or pine greens are incorporated in this design, as these colors are soothing.
● Large rustic chunky pieces are exhibited as home decor accessories to create a dramatic look.
● And the heavy look created by the wood is balanced out in this style by the use of white.
8. Transitional Interior Design Style
Photo by Francesca Morgan Interiors - More dining room ideas
● The transitional interior design style is a blend of both traditional and modern designs.
● It is a blend of modern materials, such as steel and glass, which is matched along with plush traditional furnishings.
● This design has a sense of balance that is both appealing and unexpected.
● Transitional design style manages to exhibit a look, which is both stylish and sleek, as well as warm and inviting at the same time.
9. Bohemian Interior Design Style
Photo by Toronto Interior Design Group | Yanic Simard - Discover living room design ideas
● The bohemian interior design style is full of life, culture, and interesting items.
● It is all about warm colors and jewel tones like purple, orange, yellow and electric blue.
● This interior style has a mix of a lot of patterns and has layer throws on top of the furniture.
● Also in this style, tapestries and area rugs are seen hanging on the wall.
10. Shabby Chic Interior Design Style
Photo by C Weaks Interiors - Browse living room ideas
● The shabby chic interior design consists of elements that are distressed or appear that way.
● Furniture with antique-style finishes is used in this style.
● The Shabby Chic interior color palettes include white, cream and pastels.
● And the light fixture and wall hangings in this style are fancy and exhibit a feminine vibe.
By understanding all these various interior design styles, homemakers could easily implement any of these rights into their homes, which would best suit their personality.
Lastly, take a read of Interior Design vs. Interior Decoration
And an example of a video uploaded to our Youtube channel
Popular Tags :
Join our newsletter!
Enter your email to receive our latest newsletter.
Don't worry, we don't spam
Urban Design Problems, Architects Should Address while Designing
How to Choose the Right Building Material for Your Project
Trends That Would Shape the Future of Architecture
10 Essentials Soft Skills Every Architect Must Have
8 Popular Construction Materials Shaping Modern Architectural Design
8 Out-of-the-Box Wall Panelling Materials for Extraordinary Interiors
Expert Tips to Become an Organized Interior Designer
It’s important to be organized when working on projects so that everything goes smoothly. Learn more about being organized as
How To Become An Efficient Interior Designer?
Interior designing is an extremely lucrative field at the moment that has scope for a lot of growth and an
10 Most Popular Interior Design Styles, You should know
With several interior design styles, the process of choosing one interior style among all becomes a daunting process hence, We
How To Hire An Interior Designer?
An interior designer can help in reviving up the beauty and charm of a place significantly. If you are looking
10 Signs You Should Choose Interior Design as Your Career
Unable to figure out whether you should choose interior design as a career or not. Don't worry we got it
How Important are Blogs for Your Interior Design Business?
Blogging is an essential tool for interior designers who want to build their business online. Learn how blogging can help
Most Viewed Articles
10 Bedside Table Style to Bedroom Makeover
In the current scenario, bedside tables have evolved quite a lot. Apart from serving as a nightstand alone, they also
14 Amazing Themed Kids Bedroom Ideas
Get inspired by these creative kid’s room designs. They are sure to inspire you to create something unique for your
11 Most Amazing Modern Sofa Design Ideas By Top Designers
The sofa is an important piece of furniture in our lives and our living rooms. These days there is a
Which Laminate to choose for Kitchen Cabinets?
The kitchen is the heart of any home and the perfect place to showcase your style with cabinets that reflect
Sliding Wardrobe vs. Hinged Wardrobe- Which is perfect for your home?
Whether one is going in for a new wardrobe or is looking to renovate the existing one, the choice of
Tile Ideas to Give a Refreshing Look to your Bathroom
With the availability of various types of tiles, here we have brought to you stunning and refreshing ideas that could instantly make