How to choose Best Material for Kitchen Cabinets?
There are a number of material with which you can make your kitchen storages and kitchen cabinets stand out. The endless material variety leaves us in a loophole of which material is better than the other. There are different finishes and surfaces available and all have their respective pros and cons. If you are thinking of kitchen renovation or planning to design a whole new kitchen space, take into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of the different materials. Here is a list of materials to choose from for the kitchen cabinets.
LACQUERED GLASS KITCHEN CABINETS
The lacquered glass is a material that is colored and opaque in its appearance and is produced by adding a layer of lacquer on one side of the glass. It can be natural or synthetic and is applied as a protective coating over the materials.
- Strengths- Lacquered glass has a variety of colors and makes your kitchen lively and bright. It is easy to clean and maintain. It has a durable and flawless finish, also resistant to humidity.
- Weaknesses- If proper precautions are not taken during the application of lacquer, it might result in a fisheye. It happens when during the application, the contaminants in lacquer or glass can cause a defect which looks like the eye of the fish. Proper clean equipment should be used.
LAMINATE KITCHEN CABINETS
Laminates are man-made and are thin replicated sheets which are made to look like wood. These come in a variety of textures, colors, and patterns. They are thin sheets that act as an overlay to a baseboard. These sheets come in finishes like glossy, matt, textured and patterned.
- Strengths- Laminates are compressed sheets with a variety of finishes. It is a pocket-friendly material and affordable than veneer and solid wood. They resist scratches, stains and therefore become more durable than solid wood and veneer. Laminates are best for damp areas like kitchen and countertops since they resist moisture and heat.
- Weaknesses- Laminates are a nonrecyclable and toxic emitting material. If not installed properly, laminates are prone to chipping off from the edges and often get worn out because they get peeled off. The texture also tends to fade away and so does the look, making it look dull and worn out.
WOOD VENEER KITCHEN CABINETS
Veneers are thinly sliced sheets of real wood that are pasted on a thicker base for use. These sheet scans are polished and colored depending on the theme and interior of the space to bring out the quality and enhance the natural beauty of this material.
- Strengths- Veneers are economical and affordable as compared to the solid wood since a number of thin sheets of veneer can be obtained from one wood log. It is an eco-friendly material that does not emit any toxins. Just like solid wood they can be polished and strained to bring out different colors according to your desire.
- Weaknesses- Veneer cannot resist scratches and warping. They need regular polishing as well if not taken proper care of.
Also, take a read on do's and don'ts while installing a modular kitchen.
Duco finish on the cabinets gives the base an opaque layer of paint. It is sprayed on the base and gives a lustrous and quality finish when properly done.
- Strengths- Duco gives a shine, smooth and hard finish after the application. It dries fast and has excellent water-resistant properties.
- Weaknesses- It requires proper preparation before application because DUCO is sensitive to the temperature and any difference in the temperature can alter the finish.
Also, take a read to the most important 2017 Hot Trend Kitchen Interior Ideas
And an example of one such video uploaded on our Youtube channel
Join our newsletter!
Enter your email to receive our latest newsletter.
Don't worry, we don't spam
12 Clever Built-in Storage Hacks for Small Bedroom
Brilliant Tips to Negotiate an Architect's Salary
Architecture Of Emergence by Michael Weinstock- Book Review
How to Choose the Specialization to Pursue Masters in?
Bathtub vs. Shower, Which is Perfect for Your Bathroom?
Bathroom Styling: How to Choose a Perfect Bathroom Mirror
Wondering how to add kitchen under cabinet lighting to your design? This guide offers tips and ideas on adding illumination
Looking for some kitchen ideas? We've got you covered! In this post, we'll show you 10 things you must have
Got a tiny kitchen? These clever ideas for boosting kitchen storage will help you maximize every inch of your
The kitchen is the heart of any home and the perfect place to showcase your style with cabinets that reflect
Designing your kitchen and are confused, whether to go for a modular or a carpenter-made kitchen? Fret not! And read
Most Viewed Articles
There are many different types of building construction materials available today. Each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. Read
If you're a prospective architect looking to get a higher salary, Here are some powerful tips that will help you
Are you looking for a new job? Or, maybe you just need a change for a better opportunity? Look
Want to know how to get a good raise as an architectural professional? Follow these simple tips!
Are you wondering, how to get an architectural internship? Then your search ends right here! Follow the tips mentioned to move forward