Lighting or illumination plays a very important role in interiors designing. Whether it’s a living room, kitchen, lounge, seating area, study, work place, entertainment area, resting areas or a swimming pool, a proper illumination adds to the traits of the space. While designing an area, let it be a house or a workplace, it is the light that enhances our moods, behavior and adds character to the functionality, color management as well as creates the illusions of spaces.
A room whether small or big can be helped with the right kind of illumination to look as per requirements. With the help of lighting one can attribute the functionalities of a single room into many. While choosing well defined lighting equipment, one has to be precise in terms of color, length, brightness and its functionality. For that matter, one should not choose a blue light for a study or a kitchen. In presence of blue rays which is not that bright, you might end up stressing your eyes, impacting your health in the study and cooking becomes a tedious job in the kitchen.
Color management is another aspect that can be helped with illumination. The color of the walls can be highlighted with a simple yet proper light. A lighting/illumination adds to the serenity of a place. It helps in creating a perfect mood in terms of playfulness, peace etc. Whether it is party time or time to sleep, different kinds of lights adds to the energy. Space illusion is another aspect that can be played with illumination.
Which kind of lights can be used to create that perfect aura?
There are different categories of lightings which are used:
- General lights such as LED’s and regular watt lights
- Areas used for professional work or study require intense lighting systems. This is known as Task lighting. It is neither very very bright nor too less. Very sharp and bright lights are even harmful for eyes as is dim or less light. It balances the requirements so that you can just focus on your work without worrying for your eyes. Table lamp lights, LPW lights, under cabinet lighting strips are used for such purposes.
- There are some types of Up and Down lights. The Up lights goes towards the ceilings whereas the down lights focus down from a wall or ceiling.
- Accent lightings works wonder when one has to focus on a particular object such as sculpture, painting or a single colored wall. For ex: Halogens, lights that are brighter than the surroundings gives a dedicated focus to your objects.
- Chandeliers, wall lights, entry lights, illuminations at pools areas are not literally sharp focused lights. They provide illumination to large areas and you wouldn’t require any other light source nearby to it.
While designing your home or work place, the small but highly important aspect that one needs to keep in mind is the illumination/lighting system. You can imagine when a day becomes too bright, a bright sunshine or becomes misty. Both of that affect us so does the lights that we use in our daily lives.